Portfolio Entry Organization

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    studioP

Hello 🙂
    I am having trouble organizing portfolio entries so that they show up only under specific pages. Currently when I create a new portfolio entry, it shows up on all pages that have the same portfolio template. How can I specify which portfolio entries show up only on certain portfolio pages and not on all of them? Thanks so much any tips would be appreciated!

livemesh
    Keymaster

This is probably the solution you are looking for –

https://www.livemeshthemes.com/support/forums/topic/getting-portfolio-with-slugs/

studioP

Hey thanks so much for your reply. I’m really new to this and have no idea what slug is or how to create it. Does this have anything to do with category creation? How can I create categories and link them specifically to my portfolio pages? Do I then use these created categories in the portfolio entries that I want to link to the pages? And will this be enough to separate the entries so that they show up only in certain portfolio pages?

I read where to apply the codes from your link but I’m not sure what text to edit in them and what code has to go into the Portfolio pages and what code has to go into the Portfolio entries to make them show up properly.

I have created some portfolio categories but don’t know how to use them to separate the types of entries so they show up only on certain portfolio pages. Thanks again!

livemesh
    Keymaster

You can create and assign portfolio categories in the sidebar of edit/add portfolio page as shown below –

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9j6FQo4cSQFM3ZPVzB6TUp0V2s/edit?usp=drivesdk

These categories are sufficient to pull them into separate pages using the shortcodes I linked to earlier. The slug is used to create a URL for a category and you can see the slugs as shown below –

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9j6FQo4cSQFM3ZPVzB6TUp0V2s/edit?usp=drivesdk

Looks like you are really new to WordPress. I would urge to start with some introductory videos on WordPress in YouTube. There are plenty of them. Thanks

studioP

Hey,
    I have created all my portfolio categories and plugged in this shortcode into a couple of test portfolio posts from your link:

[show_post_snippets number_of_columns=3 post_count=6 image_size=’medium’ show_meta=’false’ terms=”albumart” taxonamy=”portfolio_category” post_type=”portfolio”]

which has done something to separate them into specific portfolio sections but all portfolio posts still show up on all portfolio pages underneath the correct entries. How can I eliminate these thumbnails that show up at the bottom?

(The attached image has two portfolio entries under ‘apparel’ with an extra row of thumbnails at the bottom which includes entries from my portfolio section ‘albumart’.)

Also, I’m not sure why the thumbnails of the featured images of the portfolio postings show up as different sizes?

Please let me know how I can resolve this- thanks!

livemesh
    Keymaster

Looks like you are using one of those page templates starting with name “Portfolio …” (see attached screenshot). You just need to use the one named Default Template for these pages since you are manually inserting the portfolio entries.

The image sizes look fine to me. If you need them to be smaller (like those extra row below that you plan to get rid of), you can increase the value of parameter number_of_columns=3 to 4. Do let me know if you have trouble. A temp login to your site will help. Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Extinct Theme Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.