WordPress 3.9.2 – Add Media Button Not Working

Support Forums for LiveMesh Themes & Plugins Forums Agile Theme Support WordPress 3.9.2 – Add Media Button Not Working

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hi LiveMesh,

Our hosting platform updated to WordPress 3.9.2 a couple of weeks ago. We’ve noticed that since that change we can’t get the “Add Media” button to work on our WordPress installation. This installation uses the Agile theme.

I’ve gone and disabled every plugin we use on the site and the button still doesn’t work.

Steps to reproduce are:
    1. Open an existing post or page, or create a new one
    2. Press the “Add Media” button
    3. Nothing happens

Is there an update to the theme that fixes this issue? What further information do you need from us in order to diagnose? As you can imagine, this is quite a high priority for us as it stops my content managers from creating new content.

Thanks,
    Andrew.

Hi LiveMesh,

Just an update on this, I notice that you’ve got an updated version of the theme (I’m using v2.0) so I’d like to update our system to it to see if it fixes my problem. I’m using a child theme and only want to upgrade the parent theme (without losing my child theme modifications) — how do I go about doing that?

Regards,
    Andrew.

I tried just uploading the agile.zip file contained in the updated theme, and I get the following error:

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

Destination folder already exists. /nas/wp/www/staging/stitch2/wp-content/themes/agile/

Theme install failed.

Raghavendra

Pls go via FTP or cpanel file manager, delete (after taking a backup) the folder for the parent theme and then unzip the new agile.zip file in the same directory so that it creates the required theme files again. You cannot install on top of existing theme. Hope that resolves the issue. BTW, I have not heard about the Add Media issue before – do you have that problem if you switch to default theme like twenty fourteen?

Hi Meteorite,

I just switched to Twenty Fourteen and the problem went away, so it’s definitely an issue with the theme. I’ll follow your instructions with the new theme and let you know if it fixes the issue.

Thanks,
    Andrew.

Raghavendra

Also, pls check if there are script errors in the console when this happens.

https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/console

Hi Meteorite,

I think we’re getting somewhere. To answer your second question first, yes there are errors observed in the developer console. I’ve attached a screen grab of the console when I opened the “Add Post” page. The two warnings and the first error are observed when the page is loaded, while the second error is observed when the “Add Media” button is clicked. Clicking the button again doesn’t cause the error to occur again.

Does that indicate to you what is causing the error?

I also tested out the new version of the theme on our staging copy of our WP install. The good news is that it appears to fix the issue. The bad news is that we lose a bunch of formatting and settings of the theme in the process — presumably because the theme and all its settings got deleted.

I did an export of the theme settings and theme layout from the OptionTree menu item and re-imported them to the new site, but it doesn’t seem to fix the problem. Encountered issues appear to include:
    * Styling issues, with certain style customizations now missing
    * The “loading” animation showing colored circles now shows up when it had previously been disabled
    * The slider area completely broken

Are there other settings that we need to export / re-import in order to get a full transition to work, or could some of these changes a result of changes that have happened within the theme itself? How am I best to debug what is causing the issues? I can try to catch each one on a case-by-case basis but that feels a little like treating the symptoms and not the root cause.

Thanks & regards,
    Andrew.

Raghavendra

The theme settings should be retained when moving from one version to another. Not sure why the options were lost but there is one area where the theme has changed (for better). We moved the slider options to page edit window from the theme options because it was limiting and confusing. So, in the page edit screen you will need to select the slider once since the theme options for slider setting is gone.

If you do not select the slider, a title bar can be seen which is probably what you are seeing there. You can choose a slider or if slider is not required for a page and you want to display a video say, you choose the option “Remove Title Bar” in the page edit window.

The console error is a little strange and I will need access to the site to debug the actual issue.

Hi Meteorite,

That advice with the slider helped. I also discovered that the custom CSS settings found in the “Edit CSS” menu item had been lost which accounted for most of the remaining changes, so I think I’ve fixed almost everything now.

Only final question is that the copyright message at the bottom of the footer has come back and I can’t quite recall how I got rid of that previously. Could you tell me why this would be showing up again?

Regards,
    Andrew.

Raghavendra

Glad things are looking better. You can change the footer by going to Footer tab in theme options where you can insert the HTML for the footer.

Hi LiveMesh,

I think I spoke too soon — it turns out that while most aspects of the site seem to be working after the upgrade to the latest version of the theme, one significant aspect is still busted. All the checkboxes under the Theme options don’t seem to be working properly — I just see the text associated with them but not the box themselves. Please see the attached screen shot. This is quite problematic as it means I can’t change any theme settings.

How do I try to debug this issue?

Regards,
    Andrew.

Raghavendra

We made some styling changes in theme options and checkbox was one which changed. Can you pls clear the cache once, do a browser refresh and check if that resolves the issue. If there has been a script error of some kind, this can occur. We just need the new JS code to take effect for checkboxes.

Hi Meteorite,

Thanks, that fixed it! Love you guys.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

Raghavendra

Glad that worked. Thanks for letting us know.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘WordPress 3.9.2 – Add Media Button Not Working’ is closed to new replies.