Theme Updates

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rubyandsass

Hi!

I received emails telling me there were updates to the theme. I just figured out how to create a child theme, but I’m wondering what information needs to be put in there to make sure none of my changes are lost. What about the information put into the option tree? Will that be changed if I do the updates? I’m pretty new at this and am just nervous to loose anything. Can I just copy and paste the style.css info into the child theme? Or does other information need to be copied somehow too? Sorry, to bother you with this, I’ve been scouring Google for answers and haven’t come up with many.

Also, my website is not working well via mobile devices. I thought it was a web hosting problem, but the blog posts feature images that are squished and I know this template should be responsive. Is it a theme fix I can do? Or should I be looking on my web host account?

Thanks!
    Megan

Raghavendra

The theme itself comes with a child theme bundled with it. Pls start from it and any customizations should be in the child theme style.css. The child theme will not be updated ever since it is just a template and example child theme for users to start with and hence any changes you make to the child theme should stay when you update the parent theme.

You should not lose any options you have set when you update the theme. Anyway, it is a good idea to export it through Option Tree tab and keep it as a backup just in case.

If you are having trouble with mobile devices, it is mostly styling issue (theme or any custom CSS you have used). Not much to do with hosting. Can you share the URL here (as a private message if you prefer)?

Hope this helps.

rubyandsass

I know I should be using the child theme, I’m just not sure which one/where it is. Is it the one that’s on the theme options panel?

What should I do about the changes I’ve already made to the regular css file? Can I just copy and paste the entire file in the child theme when I find it? Unfortunately, since I wasn’t using it in the beginning I’m not sure what to do about the changes I already made to the parent file…

My website is http://www.rubyandsass.com This is the link that said it was broken on mobile devices https://www.facebook.com/rubyandsass/posts/186960034829917?comment_id=302749&offset=0&total_comments=3&notif_t=share_comment (and it’s still not working- it’s always worked on the computer though) but if you just type in the url on the phone a version of the website will come up, but if you look at the blog page you’ll see the pages are all squished.

Also, I had asked about changing the colors of all the the tab like buttons (like the Post Comment button, date on the blog and some other buttons) are still orange. Someone on the forum had sent me some psd files and I changed the colors and re-uploaded them, but nothing happened. Those pictures didn’t look exactly like those button did either, so maybe I’m missing a file? Is there a place I can access those myself?

Thanks for your help!

Megan

Raghavendra

The download zip from the themeforest has a zip file named extinct-child.zip which you can upload just like you upload any other WordPress theme in the WordPress admin dashboard. When you extract the download zip, you should find this one. Else, let me know and I can send it across to you. Using a child theme requires some knowledge of programming and if you have already made the changes to the parent file, I would ask you to not worry about reapplying them here in the child for now. If you have any custom CSS that you have defined, you can move them to the style.css file of the child theme.

I still need to check your site on my mobile. Will have a look and get back to you. Must be browser/OS specific issue that is making it difficult to handle the long URL or Facebook itself is having a problem redirecting to mobile site of theirs from this URL. That is my best guess at least.

About changing the colors, the PSD files are already part of the download bundle and we just posted the image files for that user; images which were created out of the PSDs. They will probably not meet your need since you would have your own custom color. If you still need them, let me know and I can send them across to you.

rubyandsass

I got the mobile site to work. I just had to turn off the one my hosting provides. The home page still looks a little wonky though and my logo isn’t showing up at the top. That was showing up before…

Does that mean I can’t run any of the updates that are there if I can’t transfer any of my changes to the new child theme? I just don’t want anything to disappear. I’m honestly not sure of all the changes I made to the style.css file. Can I just copy and paste the whole thing in the child theme css folder? Will that work?

Is it not possible to change the color of the psd/image files and upload them. I can use photohsop well (it’s just web stuff I have the troubles with :))

Raghavendra

If you are comfortable with photoshop, yes, you can just just change the color of the image files in the psd files and then upload the new files. I see no issues there.

For the stylesheet changes, you can copy the content of the style.css file or any other css file you changed to the child theme style.css file without causing trouble. If you are still concerned about losing changes, you can use either use DiffMerge(Mac) or WinMerge (in Windows) tool to compare the contents of your server with that of the original contents and figure out exactly what you changed and move them over to the child theme.

Any issues with logo on the mobile, if you are checking this on your mobile, pls make sure you have set the retina logo under Logo Options in Theme Options. You can also take a look at this post for another solution if you do not want to set a separate retina logo for your site or just need a temporary solution –

https://www.livemeshthemes.com/support/forums/topic/google-chrome-problems/#post-3293

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Extinct Theme Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.