Theme Update

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alanajane

Before I install the new theme update, I want to make sure I’m doing it correctly. (I’ve never updated a theme by its framework before.)

Do I simply install the new extinct.zip file? Will that installation erase all the theme modifications I’ve already done to the site?

rochester

Hi!

Yes, you just need to replace old theme with the new one.

But if you have changed theme files you’ll lose your customization, to avoid that you’ll need to create a child theme. Settings and content will be fine

Also it’s always better to perform a full backup 🙂

-roch

Alanajane

Ok, I’ve tried uploading the extinct.zip file twice now. Both times I receive the following:

Installing Theme from uploaded file: extinct.zip
    Unpacking the package…

Unpacking the package…

I don’t receive the success message, and my theme doesn’t get updated. Help?

rochester

Hi!

Probably no, but make sure that you are uploading the right file (the theme folder not the main zip you’ve downloaded) and that your server allows big uploads.

Also you’ll probably need to delete current one then upload the new one

-roch

Alanajane

Okay, I was able to install the updated theme (extinct 2.0). Thank you!

For the past couple weeks, 9 out of every 10 photos I tried to upload to the media library broke. I thought that the images breaking may have had something to do with the outdated theme. The theme is now updated, and I still cannot upload any new images. They all break. They are within the appropriate file size. What is causing this, and how do I fix?

I apologize for all the support requests. I have never had this much trouble with a theme before.

Raghavendra

This is mostly folder permissions issue as discussed here –

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/403-forbidden-error-on-all-media-uploads

I activated the default Twenty Twelve theme on your site and same error occurs. This is more of a setup issue than a theme issue.

See some more help in Google for this common error –

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=cr&ei=s6eQUu2_DMaFrQeoxYG4Dg#q=403+forbidden+error+wordpress+media+files

Raghavendra

Btw- I had deactivated the security plugin and also uploaded some images to do some tests. Pls undo these actions. Also, the error displayed is permission denied for images. You can check the server wp-content/uploads folder – probably images are uploaded to the server but they are not accessible due to lack of folder permission. Saw this error in the console of the browser.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Extinct Theme Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.