Contact Form

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    cattopp

Hi there,

A couple of questions.

How do I edit the underlying form code? I want to remove the restrictions for minimum number of characters etc, and also be able to change the form fields themselves.

Also, when I hit the submit button, nothing happens. An email is sent to me – that side of it is fine – but there’s nothing for the user to let them know that the form has been sent. No thank you page or pop-up. It would be great to have this feature.

Thanks,
    Cathy

livemesh
    Keymaster

When you hit the submit button, a message is displayed on the top saying “email has been sent” indicating successful submission. The confusion is probably because the form is not reset and fields cleared out when the contact form is submitted. I have rolled out updates for some of my other themes to fix this and next update of Extinct will have it too. Meanwhile, you can use this fix –

https://www.livemeshthemes.com/support/forums/topic/hotfix-for-clearing-out-the-contact-form-on-submission/

For modifying the contact form, you need to modify the file framework/shortcodes/contact-shortcodes.php and for validation changes, pls have a look at line numbers 262 to 284 in js/main.js file.

For advanced contact form functions, I recommend you use Contact Form 7 plugin. It is easy to use and works well with this theme.

cattopp

Thanks for your reply.

At the moment, when I hit submit, nothing at all is happening…no message saying email has been sent.

I’ve also gone into the main.js file, but it doesn’t seem to have worked. I’m very new to this, so would have probably done it wrong. I just deleted the stuff referencing anything about minimum characters:

var rules = {
    contact_name: {
    required: true
    },
    contact_email: {
    required: true,
    email: true
    },
    contact_phone: {
    required: false
    },
    contact_url: {
    required: false,
    url: true
    },
    human_check: {
    required: true,
    range: [13, 13]
    },
    required: false
    }
    };

I also can’t find where the text lives (saying please enter your email address etc). If I want to edit that, where do I find it?

Thanks,
    Cathy

cattopp

Sorry to bombard you, but I think we’re in different timezones!

I tried installing Contact Form 7, but it made my site stop working, so I had to uninstall.

At this stage, I’m really trying to do is create a form on my site to use on a landing page (it will be styled differently to the shortcode one included in the template, so I’ve created it from scratch).

I’ve got the HTMl/CSS working, I just can’t get the PHP functionality to work. I created a simple PHP file, called it “contact-webdeal.php’ and uploaded via FTP onto the site.

I’ve got action=”contact-webdeal.php” in the form HTML, but it’s not working.

Thanks in advance for any help/input you could give me.

Cheers,
    Cathy

livemesh
    Keymaster

Can you post a private message here with the WordPress login to your site and I can check if I can get the Contact Form 7 or the Custom Contact Forms plugin working. That should provide maximum flexibility to you than trying to modify the files. Hope this makes sense.

cattopp
    This reply has been marked as private.
    livemesh
    Keymaster
    cattopp

I think I see what you mean – although the plugin is installed, it’s not working, right?

When I check through my FTP, the plugin files are there.

My host are a bit of a pain, so I’d rather try to resolve this myself. If I upload fresh copies of the files, what do I need to do to make sure I don’t lose all my database information and customised code etc?

Thanks for you help!

Cheers,
    Cathy

livemesh
    Keymaster

I really think you should get some help from someone in hosting to check everything is right as far as file permissions, .htaccess file is concerned. Just show them errors and they may be familiar with this issue to resolve it quickly.

You don’t need to change your database (at least not now). Once reinstalled, you need to change the wp-config.php to point to the same database and hopefully the problem will be resolved. Since the options data resides in the database and you should not be losing the options.

No need to change the wp-content directory now and hence you won’t lose the any customized code. Pls make sure you deactivate all plugins before you reinstall. Thanks.

cattopp
    livemesh
    Keymaster
    cattopp
    livemesh
    Keymaster
    cattopp

Hello again!

I just wanted to let you know that i got the Contact Form 7 plugin working. I’m not entirely sure how, but the main thing is that it is!

I would just like to say thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate the level of support you offer with this theme!

Cheers,
    Cathy

livemesh
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Extinct Theme Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.