Agile menu stopped working after WP upgrade

Support Forums for LiveMesh Themes & Plugins Forums Agile Theme Support Agile menu stopped working after WP upgrade

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Dowling
    Participant

Hi LiveMesh,

We use Agile theme on our web site, with a child theme. It’s been quite a long time since it’s been updated, as it looks as if we don’t seem to be notified inside WordPress when a new update is available. I’ve just noticed that a recent WordPress upgrade appears to have broken the mobile menu. It’s throwing a JQuery javascript error, which is then stopping scripts working on the web site and breaking all our pages.

I don’t even know where to look to start figuring out what the problem is. The error says:

jquery.js?ver=1.12.4-wp:formatted:563 Uncaught Error: Syntax error, unrecognized expression: #mobile-menu-toggle, #mobile-menu a[href*=#]
    at Function.ea.error (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4-wp:formatted:563)
    at ea.tokenize (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4-wp:formatted:889)
    at ea.select (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4-wp:formatted:1059)
    at Function.ea [as find] (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4-wp:formatted:332)
    at n.fn.init.find (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4-wp:formatted:1179)
    at new n.fn.init (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4-wp:formatted:1202)
    at n (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4-wp:formatted:22)
    at Object.init_menus (main.js?ver=1.0:295)
    at HTMLDocument.<anonymous> (main.js?ver=1.0:591)
    at i (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4-wp:formatted:1332)

and it appears to be firing when the menus try to initialise themselves in the MO_THEME.init_menus() function on line 294 of main.js:

/* Take care of internal links too – close the menu when scrolling from internal links */
    $(“#mobile-menu-toggle, #mobile-menu a[href*=#]”).click(function () {
    MO_THEME.toggle_mobile_menu();
    return true;
    /* must return true to record click event for smooth scroll of internal links */
    });

Our site is http://www.stitch.net. I’m guessing you will advise to update the theme first but I didn’t want to do that unless necessary as it may break other things as well — but can do so if that’s the recommended course of action. If so, I’d appreciate some instructions on how to update a parent theme without mucking up any of our child theme customizations, as this was done by one of our team members who is no longer with our company and I’m not quite clear on how to do this.

This is pretty urgent for us as the site currently isn’t working for mobile users, who currently account for 75% of our traffic. If you could get back to me with help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andrew.

Andrew Dowling
    Participant

Hi LiveMesh,

An update on my query below: I’ve set up a test duplicate of our environment on our development site, which can be accessed here:

https://stitchdev.wpengine.com/

I’ve created a temporary admin account for you on this site. Details are:

user name: LiveMesh
    email: wordpress@portfoliotheme.org
    password: o07gxpSOC&&36OTHDj@gSnr(

Hopefully this will give you enough access to the site to help me diagnose the issue. Please let me know what other info you need from me.

Thanks,
    Andrew.

Andrew Dowling
    Participant

We have actually found the script error in the theme file and patched it. I’m assuming it’s a script error because the theme file hasn’t been updated to the most recent version. Would you recommend we do that in order to avoid problems like this? If so, what’s the best way to update the parent theme file without messing up the customizations we have made?

Raghavendra

Andrew – Can you pls install/activate the below plugin and see if that helps?

https://wordpress.org/plugins/enable-jquery-migrate-helper/

Andrew Dowling
    Participant

Hi Livemesh,

We actually found and fixed the error in the theme file, so the issue is resolved for the time being. My broader question then is about theme updates so we prevent this in the future. I had assumed that we’d be notified about the theme needing to be updated inside wordpress, the same way we get notified about plugins that need updating. Is this not the case? If so, how do we make sure we keep the theme updated in future?

Andrew.

Raghavendra

The concern is valid and you can use the following plugin to manage updates –

https://envato.com/market-plugin/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Agile Theme Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.