How do I update theme?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ianclayton

Dumb question I suspect – but I’ve the theme installed and working – how do I update with the latest release – de-install, delete files, re-install or is there a better way?

Veena

Use the same procedure as when you installed the theme for the first time.
    Everything you did on your Dashboard won’t get overwriten, the files you’ve modified, however, will be replaced with the new files. I recommend that you save them in separate folders so you’ll have them at hand to reapply the changes.

I use this handy plugin for auto updates of all plugins and themes –

http://wordpress.org/plugins/easy-theme-and-plugin-upgrades/

It makes a backup of the existing plugin/theme as well in the media folder so you can always revert back or refer to the earlier version. If you made any changes to the source files (instead of child theme), you will need to redo them of course no matter what method you use for updating. Hope this helps.

ianclayton

With respect – I tried that – install failed – folder already exists.
    So as I asked in my original question – do I need to de-install and delete the existing theme but not delete files then install new?

Also – the theme updater you suggested is only compatible up to WP 3.9.6… and last updated over a year ago…so that will be my plan B.

Raghavendra

Pls hold until tomorrow when we release an update to resolve this issue. Have already submitted the update –

http://support.livemeshthemes.com/forums/topic/testimonials-pricing-team-tabs-not-visible/

ianclayton

Ok – I think I’ll wait a bit longer since this is the third update in 2 days…

When the update is ready – will it help us all update themes in place rather than rip and replace?

Raghavendra

I think we had just one update in past month. Prior update was around end of May. Yesterday’s update was to address a XSS security issue seen in PrettyPhoto plugin.

If you are on a dev site, you can just delete the theme and reupload the newer update, provided you do not have any changes done in the theme files itself.

Raghavendra

Just to let you know – the latest update has been approved to address the admin tab issue –

http://support.livemeshthemes.com/forums/topic/testimonials-pricing-team-tabs-not-visible/

and is ready to download now from ThemeForest.

ianclayton

I tend not to change anything in the theme – I do however have some custom css defined – will this be retained… and logo changes…

Veena

Any changes you made in custom CSS tab in theme options will not get affected when you upgrade, But it is always safe to have a backup.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Invent Theme Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.